Saturday 19 March 2016

Sheep and Stress

Out for a walk near my house, I came across a sheep in the hedge at the side of a small field. Nothing too unusual I thought, sheep always try to get out of the field they are in. I carried on down the lane, it was a fine sunny day and this was one my first walks out in the fresh air after weeks of bronchitis.

I had suffered from a terrible cough for three weeks and then this had been replaced by a sore and wheezy chest. It felt like very bad asthma, my breathing tubes were still inflamed by the virus. Although the sun shone, the wind was keen and I pulled my hood up to keep my face warm. It was lovely to see the new grass in the fields, the ewes and their lambs grazing, catkins hanging from the hazel trees, wild snowdrops and daffodils in the hedgerows and queen bumblebees active after their hibernation ready to establish nests. With tomorrow being the Vernal Equinox, it certainly felt like the height of Spring.

Since the discovery of my lump, some five months ago, I have been suffering from very high stress. Getting the all clear two weeks ago in my first general CT scan post-surgery was a huge milestone, especially as the oncologist had told me that she expected it to show a recurrence. But long-term stress doesn’t just switch off like a light-bulb. I felt enormous relief, then complete exhaustion. And my stress symptoms persisted. I felt sluggish, restless, anxious and often had difficulty sleeping. Stress hormones were still coursing around my body. Then I would sleep for ten hours and wake feeling completely burnt out and depressed. I had what is called a stress hangover. And I hadn’t touched a drop.

The treatment for this condition is gentle exercise, good food, talking through your troubles and gentle distractions that take you into a different mental and emotional space. My ability to follow the first of these was somewhat undermined by the bronchitis, but I could pursue the others. T has continued to be a great help and support. Despite her own persistent cough, she made me healthy soup and we laughed at Shaun the Sheep videos together. And slowly the problem has eased.

On my return up the lane I saw that the sheep was still in the same place in the hedge. That is strange I thought, and I entered the field to investigate. As I approached I saw that the sheep was stuck, held tightly by several briars that were strung across its back and latched into its wool. The sheep was panting and began to buck against the briars. As I got closer it began to buck harder, loosening one of the briars. I picked up a sturdy stick and prised the briar from her wool. She bucked again, the other briar snapped and she was free. The ewe ran off across the field bleating, the broken briar dragging behind and a little black lamb trotting at her side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment