Saturday 18 January 2014

The Memorial Walk

Yesterday I walked up the North Ridge of Slieve Commedagh to the memorial I'd made for Gill in 1999. The spot I'd chosen was at the northern end of the summit plateau; I had built a cairn from stones I'd found nearby.


Slieve Commedagh means the Hill of the Watchers. It's easy to imagine it as a good place for a lookout as you can see all of Newcastle and Dundrum Bay below as well as across the Mournes and far inland too.

I hadn't been there for 3 years (this was the first time since my illness): I repaired the cairn and laid a bouquet of flowers.


Gill died in an accident in Snowdonia in 1987. She was 27 years old and an experienced hillwalker. We were engaged to be married and had just bought a house together. She died three weeks after we moved in. Our house was still full of boxes. For a very long time I couldnt bear to go there. I stayed with good friends Phil and Jean instead.

Much has happened over the past 27 years but I have never forgotten all that Gill gave to me. In her short time on this earth she made a difference to many lives - mine in particular.


Slieve Commedagh from the West; the memorial is at top left.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment