Thursday 4 June 2015

Banbridge Box

I’ve got a new position. I’m working part-time with Big Telly Theatre on the creative shop project in Banbridge. We are based in an empty shop on the main street, just along from the Old Town Hall. Our aim is to engage with local people to make a creative space where people can experience the arts in innovative ways. This pop-up creative hub was launched on Tuesday and will be open until early July. It’s called the Banbridge Box and I’m the writer in residence.

Big Telly have already delivered this creative project in Ballycastle, Strabane and Portstewart. Alice is the co-ordinator, a dynamic young woman with a mane of auburn hair. So far the Banbridge Box has seen performances of street theatre, workshops and an art exhibition. And much more is on the way.

After the launch by the Mayor of the new Council, Alice and I began a writing project. We went out on the street and into nearby shops to invite people to participate. We explained that we were based in the creative shop and I was going to start by writing a new poem. We were out and about in the town doing some research for that and invited them to contribute.

‘What’s it about,’ they said?

‘Well,’ I replied, ‘Banbridge town, I suppose.’

‘Okay,’ they said, looking a little puzzled.

‘Well,’ I continued, ‘why have you come into town today?’

That was a good question. Most people were happy to engage in conversation about what there were in town to do. Only one of the people we approached refused to speak with us. I was reminded of the first ever research I had done as an undergraduate, asking people in a small town in North Wales what had brought them into the town that day and how far they had travelled.

We were doing a sort of poetic anthropology. I made notes after each of these conversations and in less than an hour had plenty of material. I then sat down and wrote a draft, which I revised over the next couple of days. My first poem from the Banbridge Box is published on the wall of the creative shop. Next I’ll be doing a workshop to encourage people to make their own new pieces of writing.


Bann Box One


I’m in a terrible hurry
lego for my brother
he passed an exam
just for the craic
couple of driving lessons
a big steak dinner
smoking in the car
window wound down
putting money toward
the new maisonette
her engagement present
fat balls and wild bird seed
I’ve a real sweet tooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment